The Referral Process
Are you considering staying at Ronald McDonald House Charities Newfoundland and Labrador? Are you referring a family? Here are some things to consider:
- The family must live at least 80 km from St. John’s
- The child (under the age of 18) must be receiving medical attention, for any reason, in St. John’s
- The family must be suitable for communal living
- Occupancy changes quickly at Ronald McDonald House, so if there is a waiting list one day, please don’t assume there will be one the next day
First Time Stay
For your first time stay we do require a referral completed by a medical professional or social worker involved in your child’s care. Once the referral is received a Family Services Team member will call you to confirm the details and place your request on our waitlist. Unfortunately, we are unable to confirm rooms in advance. A Family Services team member at RMHC will contact you via telephone within 24 hours prior to the first night needed advising if a room is available. There is a chance that a room will not be available for you on the nights requested, therefore we highly recommended that you also arrange alternate accommodations.
Please note Families are not accessed based on their financial need. Rather, they are accessed based on the medical condition of the child, room availability and the distance of their home from the hospital.
- Siblings and other family members are welcome to accompany the parents of the patient.
- We are only able to offer one guest room per family
- Anyone who is suffering from or who has recently been exposed to a communicable illness cannot stay at Ronald McDonald House . This includes family members with colds, flu or sore throats. This policy is vital in minimizing risk to children with weak immune systems staying at Ronald McDonald House.
The completed referral form can be sent to Jennifer Fleming, Family & Volunteer Services, Manager
- by email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- direct line 709-733-2242 or 733-2244
- fax 709-747-1270
Any questions – please call toll-free 1-855-955-HOME (4663)
For Returning Families:
- A new referral is not required unless your child is receiving treatment for a different medical condition.
- If your child is an outpatient, proof of appointment(s) will be required. Please have the treating physician provide this to you and present it to a member of the Families Services team during your stay.