Helping HAND Awards
Helping “HAND” Awards in honour of Dr. Jack Hand
Each time the original committee and then the Board of Directors of Ronald McDonald House met, Dr. Jack Hand would ask the same question. “When will the House be opened?” Jack had a unique understanding of the overwhelming need for Ronald McDonald House in Newfoundland and Labrador. Each and every day in his practice he would meet families who needed Our House to be opened. He continually reminded the Board of Directors that they must work hard and ensure no time was wasted in finishing the House and bringing it to the people who need it.
Jack was passionate about the project. He offered himself up to carry out any task required. He participated in fund raising activities, traveled to Labrador on two occasions to raise awareness, offered sound and frequent advice about what people needed who would stay at the House and he even went on Open Line. He never wavered in his commitment to make the House a reality.
Ronald McDonald House opened in September of 2012. It opened with the lasting memory that the Campaign Team could not have succeeded without Jack’s contribution, without his knowledge and absolute commitment to his patients and their families who need this House during very difficult times.
Ronald McDonald House Newfoundland and Labrador is grateful to the time and energy Dr. Jack Hand gave to making our House a reality.
Now that Our House is opened, we proudly remember Jack and that he would not have to ask “the question” anymore.
To honor Jack’s contribution and the unwavering support received, Ronald McDonald House Charities Newfoundland and Labrador implemented the Helping “HAND” Awards.in 2013 to honour those that reflect the passion, dedication and commitment that Jack had for Ronald McDonald House and its mission of keeping families close to each other and the medical care and resources they need, when they need it the most.
The Helping “HAND” awards are presented annually during the Strength in Numbers Volunteer Conference, a Volunteer Week celebration or Ronald McDonald House Charities Newfoundland and Labrador Annual General meeting by a member of the Hand Family if possible. In the absence of a family member, awards may be presented by the Executive Director.
The “Helping HAND Awards” in honor of Dr. Jack Hand will be presented annually in the following categories:
- Family Services Volunteer
- House Programs
- Community Engagement Volunteer
- Leadership Volunteer
- Outstanding Philanthropist (Individual, Young Hero & Corporate)
- Outgoing Board Chairperson
- Active volunteer/business/group with Ronald McDonald House Charities Newfoundland and Labrador whose efforts have produced specific, positive results in our house, the community or in a leadership or support role;
- A volunteer/business/group whose contributions reflect the passion, dedication and commitment that Jack had for Ronald McDonald House and its mission;
- A volunteer/business/group who has been involved with Ronald McDonald House for a minimum of 1 year;
- A volunteer/business/group who is an exemplary role model for others and who leads by example; and
- Past winners of this award are not eligible for re-nomination in the same category; staff are not eligible for nomination;
- Current, active Board Members are not eligible for nomination
- Self-Nominations are gladly accepted.
- Everyone involved with RMHC NL is invited to submit a nomination
- Self-Nominations are gladly accepted.
- The Senior Management of Ronald McDonald House, along with two appointed Board Members will be the Selection Committee, and are not eligible for this award.
NOMINATIONS FOR 2020 NOW OPEN
Deadline to submit nominations March 31, 2020: online nomination form
Award winners are announced annually in April during the RMHC NL Strength In Numbers Volunteer Conference in St. John’s, NL on Saturday April 25, 2020
2019 Tina Hand
2018 Marjorie Frampton
2017 Nicole Devereaux
2016 Doug & Lily Rideout
2015 Alex Gibson
2014 Jackie Furlong
Community Engagement Volunteer
2019 The Penney Family, Arnold’s Cove
2018 Tanya Barron, Placentia
2017 Shirley Clarke, Chance Cove
2016 Chris & Rosanne Dunn, Conception Bay South
2015 Camille Bryan, Port Saunders
2014 Annette Higdon, New Harbour
2019 Stephen & Sherry King
2018 Chad Haggett
2017 Stephen Patten
2016 Tina Harris, Labrador City
2015 Melissa Thomas
2014 Lorna King
2019 Rotary Club of St. John’s Northwest
2018 Brittany Ryan
2017 Taedy O’Rourke
2016 Margot Nash
2014 Chatters Salon
Outstanding Philanthropist – Corporate
2019 McDonald’s NL Owner & Operators
2018 Tucker Electronics/Tucker Window Film
2017 Capital Subaru
2015 Belfor Property Restoration
2014 Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro
Outstanding Philanthropist – Individual
2019 Dylan Gibbons
2018 Mrs. Irene Sutton
Outstanding Philanthropist – Young Hero
2019 Gabe Flynn
Outgoing Board Chair
2018 Gerry Beresford (2009-2018)
2019 Helping HAND Award Winners
2018 Helping HAND Award Winners
2017 Helping HAND Award Winners
2015 Helping HAND Award Winners
2014 Helping HAND Award Winners